Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Red Beans and Rice

I love to follow recipes especially when I know that it will turn out great! That being said I absolutely love the recipes from ourbestbites.com! (I even have their cook book) I have been using their recipes this whole time and they're all amazing and yummy! Check out their site, its awesome!
For last nights dinner I decided to make their Louisiana-Style Red Beans and Rice. Its soo easy, mainly because you just dump everything in the crock-pot. 5 hours later we had dinner and I have to say that it was pretty good. My husband really liked it which means a lot because he is a pretty tough food critic. He added some thinly sliced jalapeños, pepper jack cheese, and some sour cream to the red beans, it was amazing! Honestly anything with jalapeños is delish! Ok so here is the end result (sorry about the picture quality, it was taken with my iphone. I really need to transfer all my pics from my Canon to my computer)



Check out their red beans and rice page here

All you need:

1 lb. dry red kidney beans, rinsed and sorted
6 c. water
5 regular bouillon cubes or 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. chicken base
1/4 lb. smoked sausage (Andouille sausage if you can find it), quartered and cut into thin slices. You can also use a large, meaty ham bone.
1 onion, chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. Cajun or Creole seasoning (Tony Chachere’s is the best; omit this if using Andouille sausage)
3/4 tsp. cumin
3/4 tsp. coriander
3/4 tsp. oregano
1/8-1/4 tsp. cinnamon (sounds weird, but that's the secret ingredient)
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (also omit if using Andouille sausage)
Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low all day. When the beans are tender mash about 80%-90% against the inside of the crock-pot.
Now for the rice:
In saucepan, bring 4 c. water, 1 Tbsp. white vinegar, and 2 c. of white rice to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and steam for 20 minutes. Don't peak!

When everything is ready, scoop some red beans into a bowl and add some rice on top of that
 then add some chopped green onions and viola! The flavor reminds me chili minus the meat. Its delicious, try it out!

Enjoy!
Con amor,
Claudia

1 comment:

  1. This was so good! I loved this cinnamon and spice mix, it was very exotic! Next time we shoud use a more flavorful sausage though, maybe a spicy one.

    ReplyDelete